Saturday, August 3, 2013

Who Do You Trust

Who Do You Trust
 
 
Jeremiah 17:5-8 Thus says the Lord: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the Lord. 6 For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, And shall not see when good comes, But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, In a salt land which is not inhabited.
 
7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. 8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit. (NKJV)
 
God is telling us that we have the option of being:
  • Cursed – Living like a bush in the dry, hot, lonely desert; just barely hanging onto life and unaware of future blessings.
  • Blessed – Living like a healthy tree planted near a flowing river; bearing abundant fruit and not afraid of future trials. 
 
We make our choice by either:
  • Trusting in Man - Turning away from God and counting on our own (or someone else’s) strength, knowledge, abilities, experience, resources and availability.
Or
  • Trusting in God - Focusing on God while submitting to and believing in His power, providence, presence, promises, plans and perfect love.
 
Who do you trust?
 
 
God often uses other people to bless us. So trusting in God does not mean that you don’t depend on those He sends to provide, protect, support, etc. The difference in trusting in man or trusting in God is really about who you acknowledge and depend on as the ultimate source of all blessings!
  • All good things come from God:
    • James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. (NKJV)
  • We have to trust that everything He causes or allows if for our good:
    • Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. (NKJV)
 
 
Prayer
 
Loving Father, in the weakness of my flesh, in the midst of trials and tribulations, I often turn my back on You and start trusting in myself or other people. Please forgive me! Your Word, Your Holy Spirit and the testimony of history and my experiences make clear that You alone are worthy of my complete trust. I choose to trust in You. Guide me in my daily life to always focus on You. I acknowledge You as the source of all good things. I believe that You are guiding all things to an expected end: and that for me, as someone who loves You, all things are working together for good. I praise You and love You. In the name of Christ I pray, Amen.