Saturday, August 17, 2013

Smack Down

Smack Down

  • 2 Corinthians 12:8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.
Have you ever come to God broken? Have you fallen before Him begging for help? Did you acknowledge to Him your inability to handle the situation? Were you desperate? Were you sincere?
 
And then, much to your surprise, things got worse. What you feared the most happened. More problems got piled on top of what you were already dealing with. You got pushed further than you thought you could go. The load got heavier than you thought you could carry.
 
This is what I selfishly call a Smack Down.
 
You came to Christ sincerely, trusting. You believed He could help. You pleaded for that help. You expected things to get better. But things got worse.
 
A Smack Down feels like God is making things worse for you. When in fact He is giving you just what you need. The feeling of being Smacked Down comes from your expectations not being met.
 
 
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9a And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”
 
Christ’s grace is sufficient for every situation (His love goes beyond our capacity to fail). Christ’s strength is perfected in our lives when we submit to Him (He is glorified when we let His power enable us rather than trying to accomplish things in our own strength). 
 
A Smack Down happens when we come to Christ asking for what we want rather than accepting what He has for us.
 
 
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9b-10 Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 
Rather than asking for things to get better, we should ask Christ for:
  • Genuine Faith – to trust in Him regardless of our circumstances.
  • Godly Wisdom – to accept whatever He causes or allows in our lives.
  • His Strength – to endure any trial or tribulation for His glory.
 
So don’t selfishly think God has kicked you when you were down (SMACK DOWN).  
 
Celebrate the fact that He is willing to take you where you need to go, even when you don’t want to go there, and in spite of the fact that you don’t deserve the great things He has planned for you (SUFFICIENT GRACE)!
 
Remember, we have the honor of suffering such that His power can be revealed in us.  
 
 
Prayer
 
 
Forgive me Father when I think I know best. Forgive me for so desperately wanting to avoid suffering and pain. Give me a heart of obedience. Help me to humbly accept whatever trials or troubles you cause or allow in my life. Thank You for the honor of allowing me to suffer so that Your power rests upon me. Thank You for Your grace and mercy. I love You. In Christ’s name, AMEN.