Have Yourself a Humble Little Christmas
At this time of year, as Christians around the world celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, let’s take just a moment to reflect on some important reminders from scripture about the true meaning of Christmas.
- Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
For all who have surrendered their lives to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior:
Christmas is a Reminder of God's Call to Humility
- 1 Peter 5:6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
- Followers of Jesus are commanded to be humble (loving, kind and respectful – not weak).
Christmas is a Reminder that Jesus is God
- John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- Clearly proclaimed in scripture, difficult to fully comprehend, a blessed truth at the core of Christian faith.
Christmas is a Reminder of What Jesus Gave Up for Us
- John 5:19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
- Without diminishing the reality of His Deity, Jesus voluntarily (because of His eternal love for us) and temporarily (between His birth and death) surrendered the right to independently exercise some of His Godly attributes.
Christmas is a Reminder of Christ’s Humanity
- Acts 2:22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know—
- Born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on a Roman cross for the sins of the world – fully Man and yet fully God.
Christmas is a Reminder of Christ’s Humility
- Luke 2:12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.”
- Spat upon, mocked, beaten, murdered – Jesus took the punishment we deserve upon Himself.
Christmas is a Reminder of Why Jesus Came into the World
- 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
- There is only one perfect, priceless and permanent payment for our sins against God – the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
Christmas is a Reminder of God’s Great Love for Us
- Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
- When we didn’t deserve it, at great cost, God gave the greatest gift of all to reconcile us to Himself – Jesus.
But for those who haven’t heard, accepted and surrendered to the truth about Jesus:
Christmas is a Call to Reconciliation with God
- John 1:10-13 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- Hear and heed the Good News!
- Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Romans 10:9-10 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Christmas is the Perfect Reminder
For All People
Christian or Not
To Respond To
God’s Call to Humility
Blessed Holy Father in Heaven, may the joy and truth of Christmas draw many closer to You. May Your disobedient children turn back towards the loving relationship they already have with You. May those who don’t know You as Lord and Savior surrender all that they are to Your Love and Your Truth. I offer this prayer in the name of my Savior Jesus. Amen.