I love reading God’s Word – It is life changing, inspiring, challenging, convicting and so much more. And as I read the Holy Bible, when I see recurring themes and/or repeated words and phrases, I will usually make written or mental notes about them. This inevitably leads to digging in and seeking to better understand what God has shared in His love letter to us.
Recently I noticed the recurring phrase, ‘If anyone…’ in scripture. Although this phrase is used throughout the Bible (NKJV), it appears many more times in the New Testament and I have focused on the New Testament occurrences in this devotion. (see Leviticus 4:27-28 and Deuteronomy 19:11-12 for a couple of Old Testament examples).
These ‘If anyone’ scriptures utilize an, ‘If ________, then ________.’ format. Here are some simple examples of ‘If, then’ logic:
- If you boil water, then you will produce steam.
- If you play with fire, then you may get burned.
- If you want to improve your health, then eat nutritious food and get more exercise.
I have included just a few of these scriptures below and grouped them under three headings; Promises, Propositions and Pronouncements. I pray that God will use His Words to bless your heart and draw you closer to Him.
God has made incredible promises.
- John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
- Loving Jesus Christ guarantees God’s presence in our lives.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
- Surrendering to Christ as Lord and Savior results in rebirth – a new and eternal life as a child of God.
- 1 John 2:1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
- Jesus speaks to God the Father on behalf of all His followers (our sins are covered by the blood Jesus shed).
God has provided incredible opportunities.
- Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
- Abandon your self-centered plans and submit to God’s will for your life – pleasant or painful, let your life bring Him glory.
- John 7:37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
- Christ is the Living Water that brings eternal life – thirst for Him and live forever in Heaven with God.
- Mark 9:35 And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.”
- To be great in the sight of God, humble yourself and serve others.
- 1 Corinthians 3:18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.
- Reject worldly wisdom to gain true wisdom that comes only from God.
God has shared incredible knowledge.
The Word of God is Truth! Jesus is Truth!
- Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
- Don’t try to twist this into something it isn’t saying – Jesus is plainly telling us that He must be first (preeminent) in our lives.
- James 1:23-24 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.
- Showing our faith with our good works demonstrates that we aren’t who we used to be – we are His.
- James 1:26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.
- What comes out of our mouths is more important than the traditions we follow.
- 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
- Allegiance with God means not conforming your life with the Godless world system.
God wants us to rightly apply the knowledge He has shared with us.
- Galatians 6:3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
- Don’t be prideful or arrogant – offer help to those who need it and accept help when you need it.
- 1 Peter 4:11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
- Do all that you do in the power of God’s Spirit and truth of His Word by applying the gifts He has given you.
- 1 Peter 4:16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
- The difficulties we endure for our faith are not embarrassments, they are opportunities to share in the sufferings of Jesus Christ and bring glory and honor to God the Father.
God gives us the information and principles we need to keep spiritually safe.
- Galatians 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
- Avoid any teaching that deviates from the Word of God.
- Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
- Don’t add to or take away from the Word of God.
Father, I pray that if anyone reads this devotion, that you will speak whatever truth they need into their heart and mind. Give them peace, bring them joy, reveal the truth, draw them into Your Word, reconcile them to Yourself! I love You Lord. Your Word and Your Spirit have the power to change lives. Please introduce someone to the saving grace You share through Your Son Jesus Christ. I pray in His name, Amen.