- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
The Word of God is very clear; if you have been washed in the blood of Christ, you are different! Your daily life should reflect the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.
Look at the three sections of scripture below. God is telling us to cast off/put off our old ways; the ways of the world, the ways of darkness.
- Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
- Ephesians 4:20-24 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
- Colossians 3:8-11 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.
The Bible gives us (Christians) clear instruction on the things we should be doing and the things that should not be part of our lives. We are to put on our new identity in Christ and live a life that reflects His holiness (1 Peter 1:15-16). Read on to see what came after the three sections of scripture above.
- Romans 13:13-14 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.
- Ephesians 4:25-32 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil. 28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. 29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
- Colossians 3:12-17 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14 But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
There is no way I can break down all this scripture in one weekly devotion. However, I do believe the message is clear; our lives should reflect the values and character of the God that we serve! Are you different? Has your life changed?
Every Christian sins; we all fall short. Yet our lives are different because we are different. Being bought and paid for by the precious blood of Jesus Christ makes a difference in your life. Read these three sections of scripture at least three times in the coming week. Let God's Word work in your life.
If you are a Christian, you are different. Trust God. Believe that He is faithful and that your life will reflect the eternal change He has made in you (Philippians 1:6).
Dear Lord, loving Father, You have changed me. I am different because of Your love, grace and mercy. Your Spirit is changing me, guiding me. Forgive me when and where I fail. Thank You for the gift of change. I pray my life honors you. In Christ’s name I pray, Amen.