H.O.S.T. is a five part devotion dealing with our attitudes towards God, how we approach Him and the resulting impact on our character and in our lives. Our ultimate goal should always be to honor and glorify God in all we do (thoughts, attitudes, desires, actions and words).
Part 1 was posted on January 19, 2013. Reading Part 1 will provide an overview of this five part series and cover Trait 1 – Humble.
Trait 2 – Obedient
Definition – To comply with all instructions from God as revealed in His Word and the prompting of the Holy Spirit. To do so regardless of the uncertainty of the results and any perceived consequences (positive or negative).
- Luke 23:33 (Christ was obedient) And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
- Samuel 15:22 (Scripture tells us to obey) And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
- Isaiah 1:19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
- Don’t be obedient to the wrong things:
- The Lust of the Flesh – Confusing ungodly desires with leadings or promptings from God.
- The World – Don’t let the enticements of this world draw you away from God. If you obey the norms of the world, you will find yourself in direct opposition to God.
- Satan – The devil can appear as an angel of light. You have to know God and His word for His Holy Spirit to give you spiritual discernment and avoid being deceived.
- Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
Father, You know my heart. You know that when things look like they are going to be easy, or will turn out best for me, I find it easy to obey. I pray that You will give me the wisdom, courage and strength to obey You regardless of my perceptions of how things may turn out. I am not responsible for the results of what You tell me to do. I am responsible to obey. Guide me with Your spirit in humility and obedience to You above all else. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.