Everyone must choose which path they will follow in life. And when it comes down to it, although identified in a lot of different ways, there are just two choices:
- Choice One – A life that honors God
- Godly Wisdom - also identified in the Word of God as Life, Light, Good, Righteousness, etc.
- Choice Two – A life that defies God
- Foolishness of the World - also identified in the Word of God as Death, Darkness, Bad, Wickedness, etc.
Please read Proverbs 9:1-18 before proceeding with this devotion.
In Proverbs chapter 9 we see the wisdom of God and the foolishness of the world personified as two very different women. In verses 1-3, we see that the wisdom of God is diligent, industrious, prepared and preemptive. In contrast, verses 13 and 14 portray the world’s foolishness as unruly, uninformed, gullible, and lazy. Yet surprisingly enough, their invitation and their target audience are identical (verse 4 for wisdom and verse 16 for foolishness).
- Proverbs 9:4 & 9:16 both state:
- “Whoever is simple, let him turn in here!” As for him who lacks understanding, she says to him,
Although they are compelled by opposing motives, Godly wisdom and the foolishness of the world both continually call out to those who don’t have a clear direction in their lives (the simple who are easily influenced).
Godly wisdom seeks to save.
- Proverbs 9:5-6 “Come, eat of my bread And drink of the wine I have mixed. 6 Forsake foolishness and live, And go in the way of understanding.
- Wisdom offers blessings and results in hope.
- Proverbs 9:17-18 “Stolen water is sweet, And bread eaten in secret is pleasant.” 18 But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of hell.
- Foolishness incites wickedness and leads to despair.
The path you have chosen is revealed by examining your life.
Throughout the Bible, in proverbs and poetry and parables and proceedings, the ways of the Godly and foolish are contrasted.
- Psalm 1:2-4 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper. 4 The ungodly are not so, But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
- Proverbs 10:32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, But the mouth of the wicked what is perverse.
- Matthew 7:16-17 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
Even so, none of us are perfect – we all fall short (that is why Jesus had to die on the cross to pay for our sins).
- Galatians 2:20-21 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”
- Galatians 5:16-17 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
God made one way for everyone to be, and stay in, right relationship with Him. That way is faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Everyone has a choice to make about Jesus.
No one is exempt from making a choice about God. Not choosing to live for God is a choice to rebel against Him.
- Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;
- Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
This choice is the most important decision you will make in this life. There are eternal consequences based on what you decide about following God.
Choosing Jesus will put you at odds with the world. But even though walking with Him can be a difficult journey, it is the only path that leads to eternal life in heaven with Father God.
- Proverbs 11:19 As righteousness leads to life, So he who pursues evil pursues it to his own death.
- Romans 6:23 for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Godly wisdom leads to a God-honoring life and eternal blessings.
Earthly wisdom leads to a depraved life and eternal destruction.
If you have chosen Jesus, follow Him faithfully.
If you have not chosen Jesus, yield to the truth of God’s Word and surrender all that you are to Jesus Christ; and do it right now. None of us are promised tomorrow.
- James 4:13-14 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.
- Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
Father God, please do what only you can do – use Your Holy Spirit to draw those who have not surrendered to Jesus according to the truth of Your Word and Your faithfulness to Your promises of reconciliation and eternal life. Thank You for loving us enough to die for us. I humbly pray these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.