Psalm 25:21 Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You.
This verse provides great examples of why we must:
- Study the entire word of God to understand what God is telling us.
- Recognize that the meaning of a verse may be much deeper than it appears.
The following definitions are a good starting point:
- Integrity – To perfectly conform to a standard.
- Uprightness – To do what is right.
- Preserve – To guard, protect or maintain.
This rewritten verse now describes a works based salvation (earning the forgiveness of your sins). This is totally contrary to what God is teaching us when you look at the entirety of scripture.
Let’s look a little deeper into God’s Word:
- God’s Word is the only perfect standard for living.
- Psalm 119:140 Your word is very pure; Therefore Your servant loves it.
- God’s Word is our only guide and hope to living a life pleasing to Him.
- Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.
- A person can’t understand the true meaning of Scripture without the Holy Spirit of God providing the insight and wisdom required.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- You must be God’s child to be indwelt with the Holy Spirit.
- John 14:17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
- We have no righteousness on our own.
- Isaiah 64:6 But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.
- As children of God, a Christian’s righteousness comes from Christ’s sacrifice.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
- We can’t just hear the Word of God, we have to learn it and live it.
- James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
- It is God who gives us the desire and ability to live according to His standards.
- Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
- No one and no thing other than God can preserve us.
- Psalm 20:7-8 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the Lord our God. 8 They have bowed down and fallen; But we have risen and stand upright.
- God does bless and honor those who truly trust in Him and wait for Him to accomplish His purposes.
- Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
If this doesn’t make sense to you, please find a Christian who has faithfully studied God’s Word and ask them to explain and elaborate on these concepts and verses; pray for guidance and understanding.
Dear Lord, You know I have wrestled with this devotion. I pray Your Word, Truth, Grace, Mercy and Love will touch someone’s heart. Thank You for the consistency and trustworthiness of Your Word. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.