Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mired

Mired
 
Do you ever feel stuck? Are you up to your knees in the muck and mire and sinking quickly? Life in this fallen world can be tough (responsibilities, commitments, problems, temptations, failures, stress, etc.).  It can all add up and become very overwhelming!
 
As Christians, we must recognize that regardless of our circumstances, our help comes from the Lord (Psalm 121). How we respond to these difficult circumstances is key to receiving the deliverance God wants to provide (Matthew 7:11).
 
 
Realizing Our Desperate Circumstances
  • Psalm 69:1-2 Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. 2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.
    • We all face times when life closes in and we feel like we are drowning. Don’t ignore the situation or your feelings, acknowledge them before God.
Recognizing Our Initial Responses
  • Psalm 69:3 I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.
    • In the weakness of our flesh we may become overwhelmed, upset, and impatient. This is natural, but don’t get stuck there.
Receiving Our Promised Blessings
  • Psalm 69:29-32 But I am poor and sorrowful: let thy salvation, O God, set me up on high. 30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. 31 This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs. 32 The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
    • When our attitude becomes one of humility, recognizing our status and position before God, broken over our sin, praising Him alone, we can rest in His promises to deliver us from our afflictions, either in this world or in the world to come.
      • Matthew 5:3-4 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
 
Maintain an attitude of reverence, respect and amazement towards God. Believe that He is and that He will reward you for diligently seeking and trusting Him (Hebrews 11:6). He will be your relief and protection.
  • Psalm 115:11 Ye that fear the Lord, trust in the Lord: he is their help and their shield.
 
Prayer
 
Father: I fail so often when it comes to dealing with the pressures of life. I struggle and fight and kick and scream trying to overcome problems in my own strength. I pray that Your Spirit will guide me to You. I pray that I will acknowledge Your power, control and authority over all things. Help me to trust in You. Help me to humble myself before You. May I rest in Your arms rather than drowning in a sea of worry and doubt. May I find peace in the storms of life by submitting to You. I praise You, love You and pray to You in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.