Sunday, April 9, 2017

That the Power of Christ May Rest Upon Me


That the Power of Christ May Rest Upon Me


Honestly, I have been struggling. There are a couple of big things coming up in my life that I feel are completely out of my control. My response – worry. What should I do? What should I not do? What if things don’t turn out the way I want/need them to? Sometimes it feels like I am losing today worrying about tomorrow.

Turns out, Jesus was very clear about worry – as His followers, we aren’t supposed to do it.
  • Matthew 6:31-34 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

About the only things that aren’t beyond our control are the decisions we make and the actions we take with regard to trusting our Lord. Do we believe He knows what is best for us from an eternal perspective? Do we believe in His sovereign rule over all creation? Do we believe He loves us as much as He says He does?

The Apostle Paul was struggling with something he called a ‘thorn in the flesh.’ It doesn’t really matter what the exact problem was; he was so troubled by it he pleaded with the Lord three times that it would be taken from him. And how did Christ respond to Paul’s pleas?
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

We are all struggling - we are broken people living in a fallen world. These verses teach us that no matter what our troubles are, each one is an opportunity for the power, truth and abundance of God's grace to be revealed in our lives through Christ Jesus.

We must ask ourselves, do we really believe this? And if we do, are we ready and willing to live our lives in a way that reflects this belief? Are we willing to be weak (surrendering it all to Him) so that His power and plan can be displayed?

Do I rejoice in my weaknesses
such that the power of Christ
is displayed in my life?


In most ways I don’t.

In all ways, He is waiting and longing for me to trust Him.

His grace is sufficient!


Prayer

Father, You know the desire of my heart is to surrender everything to You. I pray that You will increase my faith and that I will joyfully and completely trust You in all things. Forgive my worry. Forgive my pride. Help me to more fully live out what I believe about You. For when I am weak, then I am strong. I praise You and pray to You in the name above every name, Jesus. Amen