Sunday, April 23, 2017

My Evangelistic Paradox


My Evangelistic Paradox


How I long for the confidence and courage to openly and lovingly share the truth of God and my faith in Jesus Christ in any situation.
  • Psalm 119:46 I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings, And will not be ashamed.

I want to be like Daniel – ready and willing to proclaim God’s presence and power regardless of the audience, circumstances or possible consequences.

As Daniel did when interpreting Nebuchadnezzar’s first dream.
  • Daniel 2:27-28 Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, “The secret which the king has demanded, the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, and the soothsayers cannot declare to the king. 28 But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will be in the latter days. Your dream, and the visions of your head upon your bed, were these:

As Daniel did when interpreting the writing on the wall at Belshazzar’s feast.
  • Daniel 5:22-23 “But you his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, although you knew all this. 23 And you have lifted yourself up against the Lord of heaven. They have brought the vessels of His house before you, and you and your lords, your wives and your concubines, have drunk wine from them. And you have praised the gods of silver and gold, bronze and iron, wood and stone, which do not see or hear or know; and the God who holds your breath in His hand and owns all your ways, you have not glorified.

Sharing my faith feels easy, natural and fulfilling:
  • When I am at church and people already know or suppose that I am a follower of Christ.
  • When someone specifically asks me about my faith/beliefs.
  • When God places someone in front of me that is obviously hungry and ready to receive the truth.
  • When I am posting a weekly devotion online.

Then what is holding me back in situations when things don’t feel easy?


Is it fear of persecution?
  • John 15:18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
  • 2 Timothy 3:12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

Not really. Although persecution of Christians should be expected (per the two scriptures above), and is a very real threat in many parts of the world today (per global news reports), in the United States (for now at least), severe persecution of Christian’s is not a common threat.


Is it fear of failure?
  • John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
  • John14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
  • 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Not really. I know and confidently believe:
  1. God the Father brings people to Jesus, not me.
  2. I do need to be prepared; but I trust the Holy Spirit (not my intellect) to give me the right words from God’s Word to share.
  3. I can’t explain the deep truths of the Christian faith in such a way that a person will come to faith in Christ; that is a work of the Holy Spirit.

Is it shame about my faith in Jesus?
  • Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
  • 2 Timothy 1:12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Not really. I can honestly say I have no shame or guilt associated with my faith in the Holy Bible and my salvation in Jesus Christ. My new life in Christ is the most exciting, important and certain thing in my life.


But I am running out of excuses!


When it is difficult to share,
why do I keep my mouth shut?


I have thought and prayed about this a lot!


My Evangelistic Paradox

I am afraid of missing a future opportunity

to share God’s love and truth

because of the potential negative results

of seizing a present opportunity

to share God’s love and truth.


What if I come across as pushy, rude, judgmental, arrogant…? I might never have the opportunity to share the truth with this person again. What if I push them further away from God instead of helping to draw them closer to Him?

Me, myself and I. I am way too concerned about me

My paradox exists because of my pride. Instead of trusting in the power of God’s Word and the work of His Holy Spirit, when it comes down to it, I think my effectiveness as an evangelist depends on me.

So, I ask for your prayers.
  • Ephesians 6:19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,
    • That God will give me the words, wisdom and willingness to share the good news about Jesus every time He blesses me with that opportunity.
  • Philippians 1:20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.
    • That I will rely and focus on the truth and power of God and His Word.
  • Ezekiel 18:23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord God, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?
    • That I will trust in God’s sovereignty and His infinite love for those who don’t know or reject Him.


Prayer

LORD and God, Savior and King, I confess my pride and pray that You will help me to overcome it for Your glory. I pray to You in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen