Sunday, July 22, 2018

What If

What If


As much as I hate to admit it, I spend way too much time and energy focusing on what I perceive as possible problems, likely inconveniences, and potential negative outcomes in my life. And I do this despite knowing that our loving sovereign Heavenly Father is actively involved in the events of our lives and the fulfillment of His prophecies and promises. Honestly, my unintentional preoccupation with these matters can overwhelm my mind and causes significant unnecessary stress in my life. There is nothing particularly wrong with asking, ‘What if ______?’, but I am over doing it!

Over the past week, I have been thinking and praying about this a great deal. My thoughts and prayers have led me to consider two phenomenal examples from the Bible that, instead of being consumed with their own circumstances and pondering multitudes of ‘what ifs’ about tomorrow, focused on glorifying God today regardless of the situations they faced.


Joseph, the son of Abraham

Betrayed
  • Genesis 37:23-24 So it came to pass, when Joseph had come to his brothers, that they stripped Joseph of his tunic, the tunic of many colors that was on him. 24 Then they took him and cast him into a pit. And the pit was empty; there was no water in it.
    • Eleven of Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery because they were jealous of their father’s love for him.
Falsely Accused
  • Genesis 39:19-20 So it was, when his master heard the words which his wife spoke to him, saying, “Your servant did to me after this manner,” that his anger was aroused. 20 Then Joseph’s master took him and put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were confined. And he was there in the prison.
    • The wife of Joseph’s master lied about what he had done so that her husband would throw Joseph into prison.
Giving Father God the Glory
  • Genesis 41:15-16 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that you can understand a dream, to interpret it.” 16 So Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh an answer of peace.”
    • Joseph acknowledged that it was not him, but Father God who was able to interpret Pharaoh’s dream.
Acknowledging Father God’s Sovereign Rule
  • Genesis 50:20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.
    • Joseph proclaimed that, it is Father God who rules over all things; in spite of, and/or in conjunction with the free will of man, He is working all things out to accomplish His ultimate purposes and plans.

Jesus, the Son of God

Betrayed
  • Matthew 26:47-48 And while He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 Now His betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him.”
    • One of Jesus’ disciples turned Him over to the religions leaders for 30 pieces of silver.
Falsely Accused
  • Matthew 26:59-61 Now the chief priests, the elders, and all the council sought false testimony against Jesus to put Him to death, 60 but found none. Even though many false witnesses came forward, they found none. But at last two false witnesses came forward 61 and said, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days.’ ”
    • The two false witnesses lied about what Jesus had said so that the religious leaders could charge Him with a crime punishable by death.
Giving Father God the Glory
  • Matthew 26:63-64 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest answered and said to Him, “I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!” 64 Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
    • Jesus acknowledged that He is God (the Son of God), but that He is also submissive to Father God.
Acknowledging Father God’s Sovereign Rule
  • John 19:10-11 Then Pilate said to Him, “Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?” 11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”
    • Jesus proclaimed that, it is Father God who rules over all things; in spite of, and/or in conjunction with the free will of man, He is working all things out to accomplish His ultimate purposes and plans.

What if:

Instead of asking so many questions,
I trusted God with the outcomes?

Instead of worrying about tomorrow,
I concentrated on bringing glory to God right now?

Instead of focusing so much on how things may impact me,
I watched with joyful anticipation to see what God is going to do?


Although often pondered, quoted and referenced, this week has brought me a much deeper and personal appreciation for the following verses:
  • Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
  • Matthew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
  • John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
  • John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

As with many other areas of my walk with Christ, I have a long way to go. But I am on the path with Him. I now understand this issue much more clearly than I did a week ago, and trust Him to strengthen me for, and guide me through, the changes that need to take place in my life to honor Him in these things.


Prayer

Dear Lord, please help me to let go of all the what ifs that flood my mind and steal my peace. Fill me with the truth from Your Word above so that I don’t just know them, but that I live them out daily. I praise You and thank You in the name of the one who died for me – Jesus. Amen.