Sunday, January 14, 2018

Are You There?

Are You There?


In the depths of misery, in the heat of the battle, when you feel completely alone, when everything appears to be going wrong, when the pain and emptiness of loss have engulfed you, when the shame and regret of failure seem to define you, when the darkness of this world has engulfed you, when you don’t know what to do; nothing, absolutely nothing compares to the peace, comfort and hope found in the presence of the Lord. His consolation, His guidance, even His correction brings warmth and light to the cold dark depths of despair. To sense the presence, power and protection of God brings unsurpassed joy, reassurance and motivation.

God Comforts Us
  • Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
God Lifts Our Heads
  • Psalm 3:3 But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.

But when it feels like He is distant or disinterested, we can be overwhelmed with distress, doubt and discouragement.
  • Psalm 44:23-26 Awake! Why do You sleep, O Lord? Arise! Do not cast us off forever. 24 Why do You hide Your face, And forget our affliction and our oppression? 25 For our soul is bowed down to the dust; Our body clings to the ground. 26 Arise for our help, And redeem us for Your mercies’ sake.

But no matter how we feel, the Bible clearly teaches us the truth – our God is always with us.

Omniscience – An Attribute of God
God is all places at all the times – The power, truth and light of The Sovereign Lord inhabit all of creation.
  • Psalm 139:7-12 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,” Even the night shall be light about me; 12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
Indwelling Presence of God’s Holy Spirit – A Gift and Pledge from God
God’s Spirit lives forever in those who have trusted Him for eternal life through faith in Christ.
  • Luke 11:13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
  • Ephesians 1:13-14 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

As with every area of our walk of faith, and with many areas of our life, we must look beyond our feelings. As wonderful as feeling safe, positive, happy, relaxed, rested, etc. can be, and as awful as scared, sad, worried, stressed, exhausted, etc. feelings can be, we have to be careful about using our feelings as the sole indicator of our situation or status. What we know from the Bible and our experiences with God and Godly people must be used to clarify and guide us as we navigate the treacherous paths of the crazy sinful world we live in.

Whether we feel it or not – our God is always with us!
  • Psalm 46:1-3 God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah
God is our Shelter and our Savior. He longs for us to rest in His presence, power and protection.


Psalm 46:10-11

Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

The Lord of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah


So, what do I do when my feelings deceive me?

I talk to You.
I trust in You.
I diligently seek You.
I patiently wait for You.
I stand in the truth that is You.


Are You always there?

My soul knows it! 
Creation declares it!
Your Word proclaims it!
My life is a testimony of it!
Your Spirit bears witness to it!


Our God is always with us!


Prayer

Ever present faithful Father, forgive me when I rely too heavily on my feelings. Truth supersedes feelings. Your truth surpasses human wisdom, worries and wishes. I pray Holy Father, that You will help Your children trust in the truth of Your Word, rely on the guidance of Your Spirit, and lean on the collective strength of Your Church (which is only found in Christ Jesus). You do comfort us. You do lift our heads. Your love and timing are perfect! Please help us to see beyond this broken world to your faithfulness. I pray in the name of Christ my Savior. Amen.