Sunday, July 2, 2017


Personal Prayers in Scripture


The Word of God is an important part of my prayers to God. His Words often best capture my needs, my thoughts, my confessions, my desires. Several verses below are a part of my regular prayer life. Some I found while preparing this devotional. I hope that these personal prayers in scripture are a blessing to you.

I Love You Lord
To experience a love for God made possible only by His love for me is beyond my ability to fully comprehend or appreciate. My love for Him defines my life and is at the core of all that I am in Christ.
  • Psalm 18:1 I will love You, O LORD, my strength.
  • 1 John 4:19 We love Him because He first loved us.

You Alone Are Worthy of My Praise
I respect and admire some people. I enjoy a few places. I am fascinated by a couple of things. But my praise is reserved for the One True God of the Bible! Who He is and what He does is far above and beyond any person, place or thing.
  • Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!
  • Revelation 4:11 “You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”

Forgive Me
When I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, every single sin in my life (past, present and future) was forgiven. However, as part of maximizing my reconciled relationship with God, the sin in my life must still be addressed. This is accomplished by agreeing with what He says about sin, admitting that I am guilty of sin and appreciating Christ’s complete and permanent payment for my sin. I must also forgive others when they wrong me.
  • Psalm 25:18 Look on my affliction and my pain, And forgive all my sins.
  • Matthew 6:12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.

Have Mercy on Me
I am so grateful that I don’t get what I deserve.
  • Psalm 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions.
  • Luke 18:13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’

Your Will Be Done
There is no hidden agenda with God. He loves us. He came to earth to die for us. He desires all people to be reconciled to Him through Jesus Christ. He has the power, the plan and the passion to save those who trust in Him. Why would I want to mess that up with my misguided desires and limited perspective?
  • Matthew 6:10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
  • Luke 22:42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”

Increase My Faith
Although my faith in Him should always prevail over my doubts, fears and weaknesses, too often it doesn’t. How I long for a God honoring faith that trusts, obeys and relies on Him!
  • Mark 9:24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”
  • Luke 17:5 And the apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”

For additional blessings, pray about something very specific, and then seek out verses in the Bible related to what you just prayed about. Read these verses to God as part of your prayers.


Prayer

May Your Word inspire, encourage, facilitate and guide the prayers of your children, as well as those who are seeking to know You as Lord, Savior and Father. May Your Word, prayed in hope, faith and love, transform the hearts and minds of those speaking it back to You. Your will be done! I pray in the name of Christ my Savior. Amen.