Saturday, September 6, 2014

Watch, Wait & Win

Watch, Wait & Win 
 
  • Micah 7:7-8 Therefore I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me. 8 Do not rejoice over me, my enemy; When I fall, I will arise; When I sit in darkness, The Lord will be a light to me.
There are many important aspects of the Christian life. As we live out our daily lives, what we watch for and how we wait for it are clear indications of what we will win (now and in the future).

Watch
We watch expectantly to see how and when God moves – which He always does in accordance with His character and His promises as revealed in the Bible. We also watch excitedly for Christ to come for His bride the church.
  • Proverbs 8:32-34 “Now therefore, listen to me, my children, For blessed are those who keep my ways. 33 Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it. 34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.
  • Mark 13:35-37 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning— 36 lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. 37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!”
  • 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.
 
Wait
As we watch, we patiently wait; admiring His faithfulness and anticipating His ongoing blessings and imminent return. Our waiting centers on both the temporal and eternal facets of God’s activities and plans.
  • Psalm 130:5-6 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, And in His word I do hope. 6 My soul waits for the Lord More than those who watch for the morning— Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
  • Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
  • James 5:7 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain.

Win
There are two aspects of winning for the Christian: through the power of the Holy Spirit we win souls for Christ; and in Heaven we receive the prize for living a life that honors our high calling as God’s children.  
  • Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who wins souls is wise.
  • 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
  • Philippians 3:14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
 
Winning is the joyous result of diligently and faithfully watching and waiting for the right things; Godly things. True winners focus on others more than self (Philippians 2:4).
 
 
Prayer

Dear Lord, the world, the flesh and the devil are always working to draw our gaze away from You. When we look away, we start waiting for the wrong things. The prize of salvation in Christ, a Godly life and eternity in Heaven with You are all that really matter. Help us, Father, to watch and wait for You. Winning means nothing if it doesn’t glorify Your name and fulfill Your purposes. In Christ’s precious name I pray, Amen.