Saturday, December 14, 2013

Up On a Roof

Up On a Roof

I Want
2 Samuel 11:1-2 Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed at Jerusalem. 2 Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king’s house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance.
  • David, a man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22), when he should have been at war, got out of his bed in the evening and walked around the roof of his house. After seeing Bathsheba, he took what he wanted.
  • The resulting sins of adultery and murder led to ongoing tragedy in David’s life. Read David’s prayer of repentance in Psalm 51.
 
 
I Am
Daniel 4:28-30 “All this happened to Nebuchadnezzar the king. 29 Twelve months later he was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon. 30 The king reflected and said, ‘Is this not Babylon the great, which I myself have built as a royal residence by the might of my power and for the glory of my majesty?’
  • Although Nebuchadnezzar had seen great works of God (Daniel chapters 2 & 3), his pride led to severe punishment.  
  • For seven years he lost his kingdom, his mind and lived like a wild animal. Read Nebuchadnezzar’s praises to God when his sanity was restored, Daniel 4:34-37.
 
 
I Will
Matthew 4:5-7 Then the devil took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written, ‘He will command His angels concerning You’; and ‘On their hands they will bear You up, So that You will not strike Your foot against a stone.’” 7 Jesus said to him, “On the other hand, it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”
  • Satan is deluded and actually believes he will be equal with God (Isaiah 14:12-14). He tried to tempt Jesus Christ (God in the flesh).
  • Satan’s punishment will be damnation in Hell. Read about the eternal consequences of his evil ways in Revelation 20:10.
 
 
Is there somewhere you go where you feel:
  • Entitled – David walked about on the roof of his house.
  • Emboldened – Nebuchadnezzar walked around on the roof of his palace.
  • Exalted – Satan took Christ to the highest point of the Temple in Jerusalem.
Be very careful about exalting yourself; so you won’t have to worry about facing the consequences.
  • 1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
 
 
Prayer

Loving Father, forgive me when I exalt myself. Help me to see the places I go in my mind and in my life where I praise myself. Once identified, please empower me to destroy or avoid them. You alone are worthy of all praise and honor and glory. I love You and thank You for all the blessings in my life. I praise You and pray to You in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.