Sunday, April 28, 2013

Good Advice

Good Advice

A few years ago I heard someone make the following statement,

'My grandmother always told me, 'Do the right thing, do it right, and do it right now!''
 
This sounded like good advice. And although it was not given in the context of a Biblical Worldview, when you look in God’s Word, this really is a great way to approach life.
 
Do the right thing!
  • John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    • Our salvation is a gift of God and has nothing to do with keeping the law (‘by grace you are saved through faith’ – Ephesians 2:8). But once saved, by the power and conviction of the Holy Spirit, we are to live lives that honor God. A big part of that is doing what He has told us to do (in humility, obedience, submission and trust).
Do it right!
  • 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
    • We honor God and bring glory to His name when we do things right. The world wants to cloud, or even eliminate, the standards for what is right. But thankfully, we have the Bible and the Holy Spirit to guide us.
Do it right now!
  • Psalm 119:60 I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
  • James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
    • Obviously there are times when we should wait to do the right thing. However, unless there is a good reason, we should not procrastinate. Even when it is uncomfortable, we must move forward in faith.
 
Whatever your situation (trapped in the valley of despair, joyfully dancing on the mountain top, or anything in-between), God is still on His Throne. As He eternally reigns, His standards and fundamental expectations of us do not change: we are to love Him above everything else. When we do, our lives shine as lights in the darkness and draw others to Him (Matthew 5:14-16).
 
Through the trials, tribulations, uncertainties, stresses, joys and blessings of today, tomorrow and forever, demonstrate your trust in the Lord and commit to: 
  • Do the right thing!
  • Do it right!
  • Do it right now!
  • All for His glory!!! 
 
Prayer
 
My LORD, by Your Grace, I am Yours. Although I will always fall short this side of Heaven, I pray that through Your Power, my life reflects the changes that come with the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. In great and small things, please give me the wisdom, courage and strength to ‘do the right thing, do it right, and do it right not’ in every situation. May all that I am bring glory and honor to all that You are. In my strength I will always fall short. But in Your strength, there is victory! I praise You and love You and ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ my Savior, Amen.