Saturday, April 6, 2013

Alpha and Omega (Part 1 of 3)

Alpha and Omega (Part 1 of 3)

In the book of Revelation, Jesus Christ says, ‘I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end’ (Revelation 1:8). Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. As Christians, Christ should be the beginning and the ending of everything we are and everything we do (He is our all in all).

God tells us that if we search for Him with all our hearts, we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). This devotion is about seeking after God; striving diligently to know Him better. To do so, we will examine some scripture that tells us about God (but we will just ‘scratch the surface’ of the information in the Bible concerning God’s character and attributes).

Based on the concept of Alpha and Omega, I have compiled an A-to-Z list that includes a few (26) of the wonderful things we know about God. This week we will look at A – I.

GOD IS:

Awesome Genesis 1:1 – Revelation 22:21
  • From the record of creation in Genesis, all the way through the prophesies about the recreation of all things and the beginning of eternity in the new heavens and new earth in Revelation, the Bible declares that our God is absolutely amazing!
  • Our response to God should be a mix of reverence, dread and wonder.

Bright – Acts 26:13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
  • Paul describes the brilliant light of Christ. Because He indwells us, we are to shine as lights in this dark world.
  • His brightness was revealed in the Shekinah glory of God; a visible manifestation of our LORD (at the burning bush, on the mercy seat, etc.)

Caring – 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
  • The creator of life cares deeply and personally for you.
  • He is never too busy for you. He desires an intimate relationship with you!

Dependable – Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
  • All the prophesies and promises found in His word will come to pass.
  • What He says is true. His truth will never change. You can count on Him!

Eternal – Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
  • There never was not God, and never will not be God.
  • God alone is eternal looking back in time. However, we are all eternal looking to the future. Where will you spend eternity?

Forgiving – 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
  • When we agree with Him, when we acknowledge His standards and our failures, He washes us clean.
  • God responds in love to a heart that is truly broken and repentant over sin.

Gracious – Joel 2:13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.
  • Grace is the active expression of God’s love for His fallen creation.
  • Grace is: God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense (underserved blessings).

Holy – 1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
  • God is above His creation as a potter is above the work on his wheel.
  • Who are we to question what God does or how He has made us?

Incomprehensible – Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
  • Stop trying to figure God out. Strive to know Him and He will reveal Himself to you.
  • Embrace what the Bible and the Holy Spirit reveal to us about God. 
  • Accept that our understanding of Him is limited. Anticipate the understanding of Him we will have in heaven.

We will continue this list next week. Pray through the scripture above and ask the Holy Spirit to give you a deeper understanding and appreciation for who God is. Start your own list of favorite things about God. For each item on your list, be sure to find scripture that validates what you believe.

Prayer

Glorious Father, Lord and Savior, Master, You have revealed so much of Yourself to us through Your Word and the illumination of Your Holy Spirit. I yearn to know You better. Please continue to help me understand and appreciate who You are. Correct my misunderstandings. Forgive me when, based on my limited perspective and the weakness of my flesh, my view of Your attributes are distorted. You have promised to honor my efforts to diligently seek You. Burn that desire into my heart. I love You. Thank You for being so patient with me. In the name of Christ I pray, Amen.