Sunday, December 9, 2018

Why Am I Surprised

Why Am I Surprised


For the past year or so I have been praying with increasing diligence (and sometimes desperation) about the worry and fear I deal with daily. For quite some time, for me and where I am in my walk with Christ, I consider my response to the difficulties and uncertainties in life that drive these feelings to be sinful. Why is that, because what I have discovered is:


I absolutely trust Jesus for my eternal salvation…

… but I am not trusting Him in my day to day life now.


The result of this realization is, that instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with the people and circumstances that trouble me, I am beginning to understand that I must determine what is wrong with me! I am asking, ‘What is the disconnect between my head knowledge about Jesus and my relationship with Him, and the negative feelings I often allow to dominate my consciousness?’

And then this week it hit me, I have been begging Him all year long to help me deal with the persistent sin in my life. Looking back over some of the confessional devotions I have written on this blog in 2018 (for example, see ‘Drastic Measures’ posted on January 27, 2018 and ‘Digging Deep; posted on October 7, 2018), I am wondering, why am I surprised at the difficulties I am facing? He is answering my prayers to get victory over the sins in my life by putting and/or allowing me to be in situations where I have to face them!

Even though God does work in the circumstances of our lives to bless us in very special ways, in His wisdom and love, rather than just eliminating our problems, He helps us to work through them. Although we may want a quick fix to our problems, He is interested in transforming our very nature. He wants us to be more like Jesus! He wants us to depend on Him. He wants us to trust Him! No matter the difficulties of today and struggles of tomorrow, when we keep an eternal perspective, we will see and experience the truths of God’s Word.
  • Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Today, I still feel like I am drowning in my own personal ocean of worry and fear. But I know that I must trust Him in all things. I have seen a bright light on the horizon, a ray of hope that pierces the darkness and that can only be found in Christ Jesus! Here are some of the truths I am focusing on as He does His work in me.
  • Psalm 37:3-4 Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. 4 Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
  • Mathew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
  • James 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
  • 1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Prayer

Father, forgive me for not trusting You today, help me cling to you no matter what comes tomorrow, and fill me with the joy and peace that come’s with embracing your eternal promises. In Christ’s name I pray, amen.