Saturday, August 19, 2017

Misplaced


Misplaced


Recently I misplaced a pair of scissors that normally resides on my desk. My mistake was discovered when I needed them, reached for them, but discovered they weren’t in their spot. From there, what started as a casual glance around my desktop, grew into a search of my entire office space. Still no scissors. Abandoning the simple task that required the scissors, broadening my search to other parts of the house, ignoring the other scissors I came across during the search (multiple pairs), I became fixated on finding them. I pushed aside other more important tasks and duties to satisfy my obsession with finding MY scissors.

Fortunately, my misplaced priorities were short-lived. I used another pair of scissors I had come across and took care of the task that initiated this entire incident. But I have to confess, over the next couple of weeks, the thought of the misplaced scissors was distracting and led to several follow up searches for them and a couple of discussions with others that may have ‘borrowed’ them.
  • Mark 8:35-36 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

Jesus made clear that our natural tendencies will lead us in the wrong direction – away from Him. Whether it is self-preservation, the search for happiness, the desire for possessions, or any number of other distractions and misplaced priorities, what good are they if they don’t bring us closer to Him?

The way I responded to misplaced scissors is a simple but real example of how we often focus on the wrong things. In a very real sense, we become slaves to our passions and priorities – and often at a great price.
  • Romans 6:20-21 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.

If you have not surrendered your life to Jesus Christ, now is the time to turn and surrender all that you are to Him. He died to pay the debt for your sin and rose from the dead to set you free from whatever misplaced loyalties, distractions, fears or beliefs stand between you and eternal life in Heaven.
  • Romans 10:9-10 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, but have allowed commitments, distractions or misplaced priorities to draw your time and attention away from Him, fall to your knees and recommit your whole life to His love and purposes.
  • Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

Whoever you are, whatever your circumstances, look to Jesus for truth, love and peace. He is the only way to reconciliation with God and eternal life in Heaven.
  • John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
  • Hebrews 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

By the way, about two weeks after realizing my scissors were misplaced, I found them right where I left them. Unlike my scissors, Jesus is not just sitting around waiting to be found. He loves you and is actively seeking a personal and everlasting relationship with you. Pray to Him for direction, strength and endurance.


Prayer

Holy Father in Heaven, may the truth and relevance of Your Word change hearts and change lives. Help us to make Jesus the Savior and Lord of our lives. Thank You for Your perfect plan and eternal love. I pray these things in the name of Jesus. Amen.