Sunday, June 4, 2017

I Am An Overcomer

I Am An Overcomer


This devotion was inspired by a home Bible study I attended last week that focused on 1 John 5:1-5. Does your life reflect an appreciation for the victory you have in Christ? I have not focused nearly enough on these truths.

  • 1 John 5:4-5 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
    • In Jesus Christ, I am an overcomer!
    • I have victory over all things that previously condemned me.
    • This is not about feelings – this is about the truth of God’s Word and the reality of my victory in Christ.

  • 1 Peter 4:10-11 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
    • Knowing that I am a Spirit-filled overcomer changes everything about my life.
      • My Desires
      • My Attitudes
      • My Thoughts
      • My Decisions
      • My Words
      • My Actions
    • The present realities of my sinful human nature, the fallen world I live in, and the schemes of the enemy may challenge me; but, the love of Christ compels and protects me!
    • His Word and His Spirit empower and enable me to bring Him glory by how I live my life.

  • Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
    • Christ paid the debt for my sin when He died on the cross. He secured my eternal life with Father God when He rose from the dead.
    • Each and every moment of my life should be a celebration of who I am in Christ.
    • I have complete and eternal victory in Him – I am no longer a slave to sin and death.

  • Matthew 7:16-17 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
    • The fruit in my life bears witness to the transformation of my life through Jesus.
    • In the battles that rage between my spirit and my flesh, sometimes I fall short. But the war has already been won and the victory is absolute – Jesus never falls short.
    • My assurance is based on His power, perfection and promises.

  • Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
    • Knowing the perfect love of God in Christ has brought me joy and peace.
    • Learning patience from Christ has taught me the value of morality and virtue.
    • Living a life of faithfulness to Christ has wrought in me humility and self-control.

  • Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
    • The longer I walk with Him the greater my desire to be like Him.
    • The greater my desire to be like Him the more I surrender to Him.
    • The more I surrender to Him the more I appreciate my righteous position before the Father because of Him.

I am His - He is working on me and in me.
He has done the work for me – I must live for Him!


Prayer

God of all creation, I praise You for the work you have done in my life. In Your love, grace and mercy, in Jesus Christ, You transformed me into an overcomer! Please help all Your children to see, embrace, celebrate and live out who they are in Jesus. Draw the lost and condemned to the light of Christ and victory over sin and death in Him. I praise You and pray to You in the name above every name – Jesus. Amen.