Sunday, May 7, 2017

How In The World Am I Supposed To…

How In The World Am I Supposed To…


Here are some bold statements of truth from God's Word.
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    • Jesus proclaims:
      • You can’t earn my love or what I have for you. And by the way, I have more to give than you will ever need. Your weaknesses are an opportunity for my strength to be displayed.
    • Paul responds:
      • Then I gladly choose to rejoice in my weaknesses! Because when I do, the miraculous power of Christ rests upon me.

And just to make sure no one misunderstands what he is saying, Paul elaborates.
  • 2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    • Paul continues:
      • Therefore, I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties because of Christ.
      • For when I am weak, then (in Christ), I am strong.

My spirit helps me to grasp this truth – so I long to embrace and apply it in my daily life. But honestly, my flesh is vigorously protesting, ‘How in the world am I supposed to take pleasure in any of that? Be strong, fight back, avoid the difficult things, nobody has a right to talk to you like that!’ And sadly, more often than not, I give in to what my human nature is saying.
  • Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

In these situations, when my spirit and flesh are battling, there is a wonderful, powerful and liberating truth that I cling to. There are additional confirmations, explanations and examples of what the Spirit of God has already said to my heart and mind throughout God’s Word.


How in the world am I supposed to take pleasure in
weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties?

There is no way in this world!
The way is His Word!

In His Word, I look beyond this world
to my Savior, Jesus Christ!


As I rejoice in my deficiencies, Jesus takes tremendous pleasure in holding me up. He can and will present me faultless in Heaven.
  • Jude 24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
For every one of my inadequacies – He is more than adequate!!! Always and forever!
  • Jude 25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.
    • Wise
      • His Godly wisdom brings eternal perspective to every hardship in my life.
    • Glory (Praise)
      • There will come a day when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. In the meantime, I can endure the insults of the world.
    • Majesty (Divinity/Greatness)
      • Nothing is too hard for God. Any difficulties in my life will fade away as His purposes are accomplished and His sovereign plan is fulfilled.
    • Dominion (Power)
      • His power makes my weakness irrelevant.
    • Power (Authority)
      • He has authority over all things – yet He humbly submitted to persecution for my sake. I should be willing to endure persecution for His.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, my brethren,
be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.


Prayer

Father, help me to embrace the reality of Your power in my life. All You do and all You are eliminates the need for me to dwell on my weaknesses. Help my thinking and my choices reflect an expectant hope and unwavering trust in You. I ask You to forgive me for my doubts, worry and fear. Forgive the pride in my life that leads me to making it all about me. Touch many lives with the truths of Your Word. I pray in the precious name of my Savior, Jesus. Amen.