Monday, January 30, 2017

I Know Whom I Have Believed

I Know Whom I Have Believed


As a preacher, Apostle and teacher of the good news about Jesus, Paul experienced many hardships and tremendous persecution. But despite his sufferings, Paul found confidence and assurance as he walked with Christ daily in obedience to his calling.
  • 2 Timothy 1:12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.

Paul clearly understood who Jesus was and trusted what that meant for both his earthly life and for eternity.

To Know Him
Knowing of Him is not the same as knowing Him!
  • Psalm 9:10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.
  • 2 Corinthians 4:6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
    • Knowing God through Jesus Christ leads to the most personal relationship a person can have. This understanding of who God is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is a gift from God.

To Trust Him
Not just to believe, but the transformation of belief into a decision to trust.
  • Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’”
  • Ephesians 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
    • Demons believe in God (James 2:19). But followers of Jesus Christ trust Him and voluntarily surrender all that they are to Him.

Why is Knowing and Trusting Him so important?

Eternal Life
Knowing God and trusting the truth of His Word through faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to reconciliation with God and eternal life with Him in Heaven!
  • John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
  • John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
  • 1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

And how does knowing Him and Trusting Him change your life?

You Have A New Perspective, Position and Partnership
  • Philippians 3:7-10 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
    • Through the lens of truth (God’s Holy Word) you see things very differently.
    • In Christ, you stand in His righteous before God.
    • Without Christ, we can do nothing of eternal value for God’s glory.

In Whom (or What) Have You Believed?


Prayer

Dear Lord, please use the truth of Your Word to bring those who don’t know You to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Give them the opportunity and desire to know You and the faith to believe. Convict them with Your Holy Spirit and draw them to Yourself. I pray to You through Jesus and I ask these things in His name. Amen