Sunday, April 3, 2016

Focus

Focus


What is your primary focus? Do you spend most of your time thinking about family, friends, work, hobbies, problems, solutions, obligations, food, relaxing, exercise, self-improvement…? The world and our flesh offer countless topics and activities to occupy (and preoccupy) our minds.

Where do you look for:
  • Help
  • Answers
  • Truth
  • Direction
  • Hope
  • Freedom
  • Power
  • Peace
  • Purpose

For followers of Jesus Christ, our primary focus should be the Lord. We should keep our eyes fixed on Him!
  • Psalm 121:1-2 I will lift up my eyes to the hills— From whence comes my help? 2 My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

The writer of Psalm 119 was focused on the excellences of God’s Word. The phrase ‘my eyes’ appears six times throughout this Psalm. These six verses provide practical insights into a life focused on the truth, power, implications and application of God’s Word.

How many of these principles from the following verses in Psalm 119 are evident in your life?
  • Honest desire to understand the truth of God’s Word
    • vs 18 Open my eyes, that I may see Wondrous things from Your law.
  • Humble request to be refocused from futility toward God’s path of life
    • vs 37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way.
  • Heartfelt pursuit of God’s promises combined with an appeal for His comfort
    • vs 82 My eyes fail from searching Your word, Saying, “When will You comfort me?”
  • Hunger for God’s deliverance and the just assurances contained in His Word
    • vs 123 My eyes fail from seeking Your salvation And Your righteous word.
  • Heartbroken response to seeing others neglect God’s law
    • vs 136 Rivers of water run down from my eyes, Because men do not keep Your law.
  • Honorable priorities established by a longing to reflect on God’s Word
    • vs 148 My eyes are awake through the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word.


Whatever you are dealing with, good, bad, temporary or ongoing, keep focused on God.
  • 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Our physical eyes are imperfect and can deceive us.  Spiritually speaking, we once were blind but now we see. Our focus should be determined by the truth of His Word, not our limited perspective.  It seems that 'my eyes' is referring to something much deeper than physical sight.

Faith in Him is always the answer!
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
  • Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.


Don’t Trust Your Eyes,
Trust in Him!


Prayer

Dear Lord, help those who have surrendered to You to focus on You. May the desires of our hearts and minds be centered on You and Your truth. Help us to walk by faith, not by misguided perceptions based in temporal thinking. Draw those who have not surrendered to You into a loving relationship with You and with Your church. I praise You for Your holiness, love, righteousness and patience. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ my Savior. Amen.