Saturday, December 12, 2015

Why I Read God’s Word

Why I Read God’s Word


God has given me a tremendous hunger for His Word (a strong desire to know Him through studying the Bible). A healthy helping of scripture is the only thing that satisfies this craving. And although there are many opportunities to snack on the Bread of Life (sermons, small group Bible studies, daily devotions, etc.), a steady diet of personal Bible study is my primary source of spiritual nutrition. And though I greatly appreciate the information and insight I receive from preachers, teachers, mentors and friends, my growth as a Christian depends more on what God feeds me during my personal reading, prayer time and related life experience than on the nuggets I chew when others spoon feed me.

  • Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
    • As children of God, we should crave and enjoy His Word.
  • Acts 17:11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.
    • Diligently seeking God involves confirming for yourself what other say about the Word of God.

I pray that you share in this appetite for God’s Word and that you expect and enjoy the inevitable changes in you that result from spending time in study, contemplation and application of God's Word.

Here are some tremendous verses that make clear the importance of learning Biblical doctrine (teaching):
  • Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
    • Studying and applying God’s Word will transform you and help you understand His desires and plans.
  • Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
    • Followers of Jesus must earnestly pay attention to what the Bible teaches us to avoid carelessly losing sight of who we are called to be in Christ.
  • Ephesians 4:14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
    • Learning God’s Word is a required element of maturing as a Christian. This protects us from the deceitful intent of those who want to see us fall away from following God (see also Colossians 2:8).

Here are three fundamentally important reason Why I Read God’s Word:

To Know God

To Know That God Exist
  • Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.
    • The existence of God is undeniable (see also Romans 1:20). But ignorance of the one true God leads to man creating his own gods. God’s Word proclaims His existence!
To Know God’s Character
  • Exodus 34:6 And the Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth,
    • God has told us much about Himself. His Word teaches us about His love, grace, mercy, omnipotence, immutability, omniscience… God’s Word proclaims His character!
To Know God’s Purposes and Plans
  • Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’
    • All we know about God’s designs and intentions are presented in scripture. God’s Word proclaims His purposes and plans!

To Change Me

To Change My Relationship with God
  • John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
    • God’s Word leads me to a right relationship with Him through Jesus (see also Romans 10:17)!
To Change My Mind and Heart
  • 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
    • God’s Word declares that in Christ I am born again - I have a new nature and a new and eternal life!
To Align My Life with God’s Purposes and Plans
  • Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
    • The indwelling presence of God’s Holy Spirit guides me according to God’s will – He gives me the desire and ability to honor Him with my life!

To Impact Others

To Show God’s Love
  • Mark 2:29-31 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
  • Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
  • 1 John 4:20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
    • God’s children are commanded to love – Biblical love demonstrates God’s love!
To Share God’s Truth
  • John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
    • The clear and simple truth of the Bible is that a right relationship with God is only found through Jesus Christ!
To Support God’s People
  • Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
    • Christians support and encourage each other!

There are so many more reasons I read God’s Word – but most of them would fit into one or more of the three categories above. 


Let reading God’s Word regularly
be one of the primary ways
you diligently seek Him;
 
 
For how do you love and serve
a God you don’t really know?


Prayer

Father in Heaven, I beg You to fill those who know You with a burning desire to get to know You better by reading, studying and applying Your Word. Also, draw the lost to Yourself by instilling in them a curiosity about, an interest in, or a specific purpose for reading Your Word. Please allow Your Holy Spirit to illuminate all with the truth of Your Word. I pray these things in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.