Sunday, February 8, 2015

Conversations With God

Conversations With God


We call the Bible the ‘Living Word’. This is very appropriate because one of the ways God speaks to us is through His Word. In the Holy Scriptures, He teaches, advises, loves, warns, and so much more!!

The more we read the Bible and gain insight into how it all fits together, we begin to see more clearly the perfect love God has for man. Much of the Bible can be viewed as conversations between God and man. ‘Listening’ to these conversations we begin to see and appreciate God’s heart and intent; we start to see beyond the words to the deep truths and meaning behind them. This understanding is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

Below is an example of this ‘conversational concept’.  This conversation between the author of Psalm 119 and God didn’t really happen. But looking at the meaning and context of all of scripture, this could represent a conversation between God and any Christian.


The Psalmist Speaks to God

‘God, I wanted to let you know what I am about to do and how I am going to do it.’
  • Psalm 119:26a I have declared my ways, and You answered me;


God Answers the Psalmist

‘I Am very glad you decided to talk to Me about this; I have some things I really need to tell you.’
  • Isaiah 55:6-7 Seek the Lord while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the Lord, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.
‘Do you understand why am I telling you this?’
  • Proverbs 16:25 25 There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.


‘I have a unique perspective on your situation.’
  • Isaiah 55:8-9 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
‘It is important that you listen, I really do know what I am talking about.’
  • Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.


‘I have a plan and there is a really good reason for everything I do.’
  • Isaiah 55:10-11 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower And bread to the eater, 11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
‘So keep in mind, whatever you chose to do, My Will shall be accomplished.’
  • Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,’


‘If you accept and obey what I tell you, things will go really well for you.’
  • Isaiah 55:12-13 “For you shall go out with joy, And be led out with peace; The mountains and the hills Shall break forth into singing before you, And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. 13 Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress tree, And instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree; And it shall be to the Lord for a name, For an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”
‘Please trust Me in this. I love you and only want the best for you!’
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.


The Psalmist Responds to God

‘Lord and Master, thank You for sharing Your truths with me.’
  • Psalm 119:26b-27 Teach me Your statutes. 27 Make me understand the way of Your precepts; So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works.


In the New Testament we often see repetition and reiteration of the truths in the Old Testament. In the Book of James we get an instructional reemphasize of the truths presented in the ‘conversation’ above.
  • James 4:13-17 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. 17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Beyond this very moment, we really don’t know what God has in store for us. We are to live our lives with a ‘If the Lord wills’ attitude. Seek to understand His will (desire) through conversations with Him:
  • Those you have through prayer.
  • Those you find while reading His Word.


When you seek God’s Will through His Word,
You really need to heed what you read.
 
Rebellion against the
Concepts, principles, restrictions and requirements
Presented in God’s Word is sin!


Prayer

Father, thank You for presenting Your truth through Your Word in such a way that we can read it as a conversation; a conversation between a loving Father and His children (us). I pray that Your Words of truth touch many hearts and change many lives. I love You and praise You in the name above all names, Jesus. Amen.