Saturday, December 6, 2014

Like Christ

Like Christ

As Christians, our greatest goal and desire should be to become like Christ. As we undergo this transformation, we become more focused on and more willing to fulfill God’s purposes for our lives.
  • Romans 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

We could debate until Christ’s return exactly what ‘predestined’ means in this verse. But this is clear, God intends for His children to become more and more like Christ. Here are a few verses that reinforce this scriptural truth (see also 2 Corinthians 3:18 and Philippians 3:12-14).
  • Ephesians 4:13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
    • Christ is the measuring stick, the standard, we are all compared to.
  • 1 John 3:2-3 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
    • Knowing that we will become like Christ should inspire us to be like Christ now.
  • 1 John 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
    • If you are a Christian, people should see Christ in your life.
  • Philippians 3:20-21 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
    • One day Christians will receive a glorified body (like Christ did at His resurrection).

I long to be like Christ my Lord,
     To strive and reach for that reward.
 
Submitting all I am to Him,
     A life-long goal, not just a whim.
 
His Word the Truth shows me the Way,
     Hid in my heart so I don’t stray.
 
His work in me goes on each day,
     To honor Him is what I pray.
 
When I fall short I bend my knee,
     His crimson blood flows over me.
 
Whatever changes life may bring,
     A hymn of praise my heart will sing.
 
It’s not by might or power from me,
     But by His Spirit I’m strong and free.
 
So use me God as You see fit,
     Sustain me Lord and I won’t quit!


We submit ourselves to God’s sanctifying work while embracing His promise that one day we will be like Jesus. Yet I caution you to remember, though we will be like Jesus, we will not become Jesus. He is God; we are not (and never will be). Jesus is the only begotten (unique, one of a kind) Son of God. As the sovereign Lord of the universe, Christ has rights and privileges we will never obtain. When you start asking yourself how Jesus would handle certain situations, keep in mind that it is His character, motives and truths we are to emulate, not necessarily His specific actions.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, I pray that as You continue the work of transforming Your children into the image of Christ, please keep us humble. May we never become proud believing it is our goodness, strength or dedication that is changing us. It is only by Your grace, love and faithfulness; the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; and the power of Your Holy Spirit and Living Word that we become more like Christ. It is Your promise that guarantees we will one day be conformed to the image of You Son. I praise You and thank You for the awesome privilege of being Your child. In Christ’s name I pray, Amen.