Saturday, August 2, 2014

Too Many Words

Too Many Words

Most of the time I talk too much. God has recently used to following scriptures from the Book of Proverbs to speak to my heart about this.

Proverbs
  • 15:2 The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly,
    • But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
  • 15:28 The heart of the righteous studies how to answer,
    • But the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.
  • 17:27 He who has knowledge spares his words,
    • And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.
  • 18:13 He who answers a matter before he hears it,
    • It is folly and shame to him.
  • 29:11 A fool vents all his feelings,
    • But a wise man holds them back.
Here is what I heard God saying to me:
  • Even if I have something relevant to say, I must prayerfully decide if, when and how to say it.
  • I can always say what’s on my mind; but carefully listening and thoughtfully deciding if and how to respond is a sign of wisdom.
  • I should always think before I speak.  
  • I want my words to be Godly.
  • A lot of words coming out of my mouth does not equate to intelligence.  
  • With the spoken word, often less is better.  
  • I should listen for understanding before I speak.  
  • I should let others finish what they have to say.
  • I don’t always have to say something.
  • My feelings are important to me; but I don’t always have to share them.  
  • Sometime it’s better to just keep my mouth shut.
  • Some things are not meant to be shared.
 
 
It’s actually pretty easy to listen when you are happy and you like what you hear; but even the rudest most selfish person can do that! How well do you listen when you are frustrated, angry, insulted, in the right, just trying to help, etc.?

My family, friends and so many others deserve for me to be a better listener. More importantly, God expects me to be a better listener. Good listening and carefully selected responses glorify our Heavenly Father. Being a great listener may even provide the opportunity for you to share the gospel message of Jesus Christ with someone!

If you don’t struggle with talking too much, I pray these verses will be an encouragement to keep up the good work. But, if like me, you talk more than you listen, I pray these verses will convict you to show others the love and respect they deserve by opening your ears and being more selective about the number, quality and tone of the words that come out of your mouth.


Prayer

Father, You have been so very clear through Your Holy Word that I should be a better listener. I confess that I have fallen short in this area of my life and sincerely pray that You will help me to honor You by obeying Your Word. Please forgive me. I also pray for anyone reading this devotion that struggles with the same issue. I love You Lord and am so grateful for Your gentle patience. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.