Sunday, May 11, 2014

His Mercy and Faithfulness

His Mercy and Faithfulness

Christians often define mercy as ‘not getting what you deserve’. This is a simplistic but effective way of describing the times when God reduces or eliminates the consequences of our sinful actions. In the context of all of scripture, this can be applied to our eternal life - salvation (1 Peter 1:3-4) and our finite lives this side of eternity – God’s compassion (Psalm 123).

In a very personal way, I think of mercy as what your spirit cries out for when you don’t want to face the penalty for offending God. Thankfully, God is merciful! He doesn’t try to be merciful; it is part of His very nature. He is perfect and always bestows His mercy righteously.

The LORD's Mercy
  • Sustains My Life
    • Lamentations 3:22-23 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
  • Saved My Soul
    • Titus 3:4-5 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 
  • Satisfies My Needs
    • Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
When I take His Mercy in my life for granted, I notice that complaining, anger, resentment, rebellion, disrespect, covetousness, selfishness, being judgmental and pride start to creep into my attitudes, thoughts and words.
Forgive me my LORD! Forgive me my family! Forgive me my brothers and sisters in Christ. Forgive me whoever I have wronged!


God is faithful to His character. Praise God for His Mercy and Faithfulness.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!


Search for ‘Great is Thy Faithfulness’ is you are not familiar with this hymn.

Prayer

Merciful Father, loving Savior, life without Your mercy would be intolerable. Eternity without Your mercy is Hell! I thank You and praise You for Your abundant mercy. May Your mercy sustain those suffering and save those bound for Hell. You do all things well. I trust You and am in awe of Your Holiness. I pray in the powerful name of Jesus Christ, Amen.