Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sheep Need a Shepherd

Sheep Need a Shepherd
 
I am certainly no expert on sheep, but from what I have heard they are pretty dumb and very defenseless. Without a shepherd to provide for their basic needs, protect them from danger, and prepare them for various activities and challenges, they would be in big trouble.  
 
 
I love the 23rd Psalm for many reasons. But what has been on my heart about it lately are the first five words, ‘The LORD is My Shepherd’. All the proclamations David makes in this psalm are only true because of these five words.
 
David’s Proclamations in Psalm 23:
  • About Himself and His Life
    • I shall not want
    • I will fear no evil
    • My cup runs over
    • Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
    • I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever

  • About His Relationship with God
    • He makes me to lie down in green pastures
    • He leads me beside the still waters
    • He restores my soul
    • He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake
    • You are with me
    • Your rod and your staff they comfort me
    • You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies
    • You anoint my head with oil
Five more words I really like are, Jesus is the Good Shepherd!
  • John 10:14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.
    • If you haven’t done so lately, I would encourage you to read all of John chapter 10.
I am so thankful I have a shepherd who provides all my needs, protects me from danger and prepares me for life!
  • Provides: Jehovah-Jireh (The Lord will Provide) Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided.”
  • Protects: Jehovah-Nissi (The Lord is my Banner) Deuteronomy 20:4 for the Lord your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.’
  • Prepares: Jehovah-Mekaddishkem (The Lord Who SanctifiesExodus 31:13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you.
Jesus is the loving shepherd who died for the sins of the world! And not only did He die to pay the price for our sins, but He also rose from the dead as proof of His deity and as a promise of eternal life for those who surrender their lives to His Lordship by accepting His free gift of salvation.
 
 
Prayer
 
 
Dear Lord, I am so thankful to have a shepherd who loves me. You faithfully demonstrate Your love and consistently fulfill the promises You have made in Your Word. Without You as my shepherd, I would be lost and in grave danger. It is such a blessing to boldly proclaim and regularly experience the benefits of Your loving care and the relationship we share. Please bless all Your sheep while continuing to draw others into Your fold. Thank You for the beautiful words of the 23rd Psalm and how You have used these Words over the centuries to bless and comfort many souls. I praise You and love You. I long to be an obedient sheep. In Christ’s name I pray, Amen.