Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dare to Be Different

Dare to Be Different
 
 
As we live out our Christian lives in this fallen world, desiring to complete the work that God has planned for us, we sometimes encounter and interact with powerful, or even hostile entities (individuals, organizations, businesses, governmental agencies, etc.). Whether they are Christian or not, we must always Dare to Be Different. We cannot react to situations the same way unbelievers do. We are to bring glory to God in everything we do regardless of the circumstances.  
 
When Daniel and his three friends were captured and taken to Babylon, they modeled the behavior we must adopt in our lives.
  • Daniel 1:8-9 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself. 9 Now God had brought Daniel into the favor and goodwill of the chief of the eunuchs.
 
Here are three important lessons we can take from Daniel’s experience and example:
  • Commit to living a life that honors God
    • As you engage the world, don’t compromise the holy life God has called you to live.
      • 1 Peter 1:16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
  • Seek support to fulfill your commitments to God
    • When needed, ask for support or permission from those who can help you achieve your Godly goals.
      • Nehemiah 2:4-5 Then the king said to me, “What do you request?” So I prayed to the God of heaven. 5 And I said to the king, “If it pleases the king, and if your servant has found favor in your sight, I ask that you send me to Judah, to the city of my fathers’ tombs, that I may rebuild it.”
  • Trust that God will give you favor in the sight of others as you move forward in His will
    • Be confident in obtaining approval/permission for your plans. If God has ordained it, it will come to pass.
      • Proverbs 21:1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.
Don’t be tempted to compromise what and Who we stand for by presuming ‘the end justifies the means’.  
  • Christ is our beginning, our ending and our means!
    • Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
    • John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
 
 
Prayer
 
Heavenly Father, Your word contains so many powerful examples of failure and success in being faithful to You. Out of love, You have provided these historical accounts, parables and proverbs to impart knowledge and wisdom to us. I thank You for giving us the opportunity to learn from history and truth rather than always having to learn from trials and troubles. Thank You for including the example of Daniel in Your Holy Word. Please empower me, give me the desire, knowledge, humility, courage and wisdom to live a life that honors You. Enable me to live out what I believe and fulfill any commitments to You regardless of the circumstances or opposition I may face. May my life be an effective witness for You and the truth of Your Word. In Christ’s name I pray, Amen.