Saturday, June 22, 2013

Leaving it All on the Field

Leaving it All on the Field
 
I have a good friend who often uses the phrase, ‘I’m leaving it all on the field!’ when talking about his work for the Lord. Although echoing sentiments from his younger days while playing soccer, my dear brother in Christ uses this phrase to proclaim his unwavering commitment to give his all for Jesus (to completely exhaust himself of the talents and abilities given to him by God).
 
While awaiting his execution in a Roman prison, Paul makes a similar statement looking back on his life since the time of his conversion.
  • 2 Timothy 4:6-7 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Paul is basically saying, ‘I left it all on the field.’
  • In verse 6, Paul tells Timothy that he is prepared for his impending martyrdom.
  • In verse 7, he clearly speaks of his:
    • Commitment to Christ
      • Giving God his all regardless of the circumstances or consequences he faced.
    • Completing his Calling
      • Finishing every task God assigned and engaging in every opportunity He presented.
    • Continuing in Confidence
      • Trusting in the truth of God’s Word and faithfulness to His promises.
Christ clearly tells of us about the priorities, commitment and sacrifices required by His followers.
  • Matthew 10:37-39 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
Whether we are contemplating our thoughts and actions in the moment or looking ahead to future opportunities, our goal should always be to give all that we are and all that we have to honor, glorify and serve Jesus Christ. Then, when we look back on our lives, like Paul, we can say, ‘I left it all on the field.’
 
Prayer
 
Dear Lord, I recognize that fear, and selfishness, and self-centeredness, and pride, and so much more stand in the way of me truly giving all that I am and all that I have to You and for You. May Your Word and Your Spirit guide and empower me to leave it all on the field for You. The suffering, perceived inconveniences or temporary sacrifices cannot be compared to the glorious fulfillment of Your promises in the future. Use me Lord. I love You and praise Your Holy Name by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, Amen.