Saturday, May 18, 2013

Acceptable in Your Sight

Acceptable in Your Sight
 
There is no greater desire for a Christian than to live a life that is acceptable in the sight of our God.
  • Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
Living a life that reflects the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, patiently enduring the suffering that comes as a result of doing what is right, and so much more as presented in the Bible, brings glory and honor to God.
  • Ephesians 5:9-10 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
  • 1 Peter 2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
  • Proverbs 10:32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.
 
So how do we know what is acceptable in God’s sight?
 
Conscience (the sense of right and wrong; the moral compass everyone receives as a creation of God)
  • Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
Our conscience, the fingerprints of God on our very essence, is one indication of what is right or wrong. Unfortunately the conscience can be damaged by neglect and abuse. When corrupted by our flesh and/or our environment, the conscience will not be a reliable guide for living a life that is acceptable before God.
 
 
Commandments (the standards for living given by God in His Holy Word)
  • John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
God’s law tells us how to live a life pleasing to Him. Keeping His commandments does not bring salvation (salvation is by His grace and our faith (see Ephesians 2:8-9)), but it shows our love for Him and our appreciation for what He has done for us. The commands of God can be rejected or ignored. Willfully breaking His commandments is not pleasing to God.
 
 
Conviction (the undeniable internal voice from God that speaks truth into your thoughts and desires)
  • John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
  • John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Conviction of the Holy Spirit can draw the lost to salvation and lead the saved to obedience. Conviction of the Holy Spirit can be dismissed as guilt or shame. For those who don’t know Christ as Savior, dismissing the conviction of the Holy Spirit will lead to eternal damnation in Hell. For a Christian that grieves the Holy Spirit by not responding to His voice, God has promised discipline.
 
 
Christians can maintain a healthy conscience, obey God’s commandments and clearly hear the convicting voice of the Holy Spirit by maintaining an honest, healthy and honoring relationship with God. This is achieved when reading the Bible, praying regularly, attending church, spending time with other Christians, serving those in need, and joyfully and thankfully watching God work around you result in a deep love for God and obedience to His direction in your life.
 
 
Prayer
 
Holy Father, I pray that my conscience is healthy and reliable, that I obey Your commandments, and that You keep me sensitive and obedient to the conviction of Your Holy Spirit. My desire is to live a life that is acceptable to You (my thoughts, my desires, my attitudes and my actions). Only through Your grace, mercy, love and the empowering presence of Your Holy Spirit can I hope to achieve this goal. I am Yours. Have Your way with me. In the name of my Lord and Savior Christ I pray, Amen.