Saturday, February 9, 2013

H.O.S.T (Part 4 of 5)

H.O.S.T (Part 4 of 5)
 
H.O.S.T. is a five part devotion dealing with our attitudes towards God, how we approach Him and the resulting impact on our character and in our lives. Our ultimate goal should always be to honor and glorify God in all we do (thoughts, attitudes, desires, actions and words).
 
Part 1 was posted on January 19, 2013. Reading Part 1 will provide an overview of this five part series and cover Trait 1 – Humble. Part 2 was posted on January 26 and deals with being Obedient. Trait 3 – Submissive was posted on February 2.
 
Trait 4 – Trusting
 
Definition – Confidence that all God says is true, all that He promises He will do, all that He asks and commands is best for us and good. This confidence shapes our actions, attitudes, thoughts and desires.
 
Scripture
  • Luke 23:46 (Christ trusted the Father) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
  • Proverbs 3:5-6 (God is worthy of our trust) Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Results – Confidence in knowing that God is directing your path. Freedom experienced by resting in God’s sovereignty.
  • Proverbs 14:26 In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.
Cautions
  • Laziness – Waiting on God to take care of things without actively participating in His plan for you.
  • Irresponsibility – Not taking responsibility or initiative with regards to one’s own actions or responsibilities.
  • Hypocrisy – Saying you trust in God, but inwardly relying on yourself, money, others, …
    • Matthew 26:49 (the words of Judas Iscariot) And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
Connections - Trust starts with your faith in God (which He gives us – Ephesians 2:8). Trust grows as God demonstrates His faithfulness and you acknowledge that He (not luck, not chance) is in control. If you don’t trust God, you won’t submit to Him.
 
Prayer
 
Heavenly Father, You are worthy of trust. I know that all I have been through, all that You allow to happen to me and all that You have planned for me are for my good and Your glory. Forgive me when I doubt You. Forgive me when I second guess You. Forgive me when I don’t trust You. May Your Spirit guide me to peace and security as I seek Your will through prayer, Bible study and wise counsel from Christian brothers and sisters. May my thoughts and actions demonstrate genuine trust in You. In Christ’s name, Amen.