Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kora


Kora

Many years ago, in a very typical small town, there lived a not so typical girl named Kora.  Kora was smart, funny, energetic and full of love for her family and friends.  She obeyed her parents and did very well in school.  Although she was only fifteen, with the prompting and encouragement of her father, Kora had already figured out what she wanted to do with her life.  She wanted to be an elementary school teacher.  She loved younger children and she loved watching them learn new things.

There is one more thing you need to know about Kora.  She was born with a severely underdeveloped right foot and lower leg.  Over the years she had gotten pretty good at balancing on her left foot, but she really couldn’t get around very well and often got injured by falling.  Kora’s family didn’t have much money, but they worked and saved and tried several different crutches along the way.  Although each provided some benefit, in the long run all fell short of providing the stability and mobility Kora needed to reach her ever expanding goals.

Today was the first day back at school after a long summer.  Kora was elated to be back in class, especially as a ninth grader.  She had long sinse learned to ignore the jokes, laughs and stares.  But she really didn’t expect to be the center of attention.  After all, what’s the big deal about a new crutch?  But this was no ordinary crutch.  As a matter of fact, it was one of a kind.  Kora’s father, frustrated by the years of disappointment brought about by purchased crutches that never meet his daughter’s needs, designed and built a crutch just for her.

The crutch was made of spruce, a strong but lightweight wood.  It had a base that resembled a small foot (because it was longer and wider than the normal single point of contact like traditional crutches).  There were three handles instead of just one.  This way Kora could grab the appropriate handle for the task at hand (for example: getting up off the floor, standing from a chair, or running, yes, running).  The most ingenious part of the crutch was the custom shaped cushioned support that fit under her arm and the accompanying strap that buckled around her shoulder (the strap was only used for running and playing).  Kora’s father had worked on the crutch all spring and perfected the final design just at the start of summer.  Kora had spent the entire summer learning to take advantage of the design features.  Her parents were overjoyed the first time they saw her run without falling.

Early at lunch, a few of the high school boys were making fun of Kora and her crutch.  She ignored them.  But now, after school, when most the kids gathered on the schoolyard to play, they were really giving her a hard time.  She had joined in a game of hide-and-seek with her friends.  Kora tried desperately to keep her cool, but when Sammy Jones came over and said, ‘I’m glad I don’t need a stupid ole crutch to get around.  That’s the dumbest looking crutch I’ve ever seen!’

Kora had all she could take.  She walked up to Sammy, got right in his face and said clearly and directly, ‘Sammy, I was born with a flaw.  I can’t use my right foot.  I have spent my life trying to find a way to overcome this stupid foot I was born with.  Nothing I tried allowed me to live the life I wanted so badly to live.  But my father loves me so much, and he knows all the things I wanted to do, but couldn’t, so he made me this crutch.  He made it just for me!  He made it in a way that gives me freedom and independence and hope.  You get it?  I now have hope of achieving all my dreams.  I can run, I can play, and one day I will meet a nice boy to dance with!!  So if I have to humble myself and admit that I need help to become the person my father inspired me to be, I will gladly do so.  And you and your stupid immature remarks don’t do anything except show that you aren’t man enough to admit your weaknesses and address them.  And one last thing, I love my crutch.  It is a gift from my father and it enables me to be better than I was.’

Kora turned and walked away, never looking back.  She finished high school, went to college, became a third grade teacher and met a very nice man.  They love to dance.

discussion

What wisdom, strength and courage.  As Christians, why do we worry about the world’s view of our dependence on Christ?  They view us as weaker than they are.  But we know the truth, we are all born into sin and the only way to gain victory is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  We become who our father wants us to be by the indwelling power of His Holy Spirit.

A crutch is anything that helps you overcome a weakness.  Our sin nature is our weakness.  I am thankful for Christ.  I am thankful my Heavenly Father made a way for me to overcome this weakness.  The world calls ‘religion’ a crutch.  I say ‘AMEN!’ if that religion is faith in Jesus Christ.

Can we humble ourselves, admit our need for Christ, and stop worrying about what the world thinks?  I hope so.  We need to be praying for those who are blinded by Satan and can’t see their need for Christ.

Christ is my crutch!  I LOVE MY CRUTCH!!!

We are all broken!
·   Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
·   Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
·   Ephesians 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.



Without God, we can do nothing!
·   John 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
·   2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
·   1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

God is our help and strength!
·   Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
·   Isaiah 50:7 For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.
·   Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
·    Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

We must humble ourselves before God and rest in His strength, not our own!!
·   Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
·   Matthew 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
·   2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Prayer

Father in Heaven, I pray that You will give me the wisdom, strength, courage and humility to openly admit my dependence on You and to live my life in submission to Your will and in obedience to Your commandments.  The world may view me as weak, I pray that You view me as good and faithful.  I love Your truth, I love Your word, I love YOU!  In the precious name of Christ I pray.  Amen.