Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tear Down the Wall

Tear Down the Wall
(a plea for brokenness)

Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite (repentant) heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Jeremiah 17:14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Confession
From my youth, all the days of my life before you called me to salvation in Christ, I built a wall around my heart. In the foolishness of my flesh, I took each brick; forged in anger, hurt, resentment, grudges, pride, and arrogance; bound together by the mortar of selfishness and self-centeredness; and constructed what I thought was an impenetrable barrier. I believed I had protected from invasion or interference the very essence of who I was.
Then You called.
The glorious light of Your truth shown in my heart. You called me, saved me, indwelled me, and changed me. I am Yours!!
Yet in my flesh, I have found the wall still standing: standing between me and all that You want me to be. You have my body! You have my mind. My spirit is Yours. But much of my heart is still held captive within the prison I started building long before I knew You.
The strongest thing in my life prior to knowing You was the wall. Yet in Your presence, the wall is a vapor; dispersed by Your slightest breath.
However, for it to fall, I must surrender it to You.

Prayer
Blessed Father in heaven, giver of life, in humility and repentance, I surrender the wall around my heart to You. You live in my heart and I beg you to tear down the wall I built in ignorance and fear. Nothing can stand before the strength of Your will. Trusting in Your word, standing in Your truth, believing with the faith You gave me, I surrender all. May my heart beat according to Your good pleasure. May the stench of isolation dissipate in the warmth of Your love and the freedom only You can give. May Your love shine through me as openness and vulnerability replace seclusion and defensiveness. I pray it and claim it in the strong name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Amen.

Psalm 145:17-19 The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. 18 The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. 19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
See Also: Psalm 18:1-3, 51:10 & 119:11, Jeremiah 17:9, Philippians 2:13 & 3:13